Virginia Beach Robbery Lawyer
Defending Against Robbery Charges in Virginia
When facing charges of robbery, you need an experienced legal advocate on your side. At JRLaw PLC, we are here to protect your rights and fight for your future. Our Virginia Beach robbery lawyers are committed to providing top-notch legal representation to ensure the best possible outcome for your case.
Call JRLaw PLC today at (757) 447-0080 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our Virginia Beach robbery lawyer.
What is Robbery?
Robbery is considered a serious criminal offense that involves the unlawful taking of another individual's property or belongings through force, intimidation, or the threat of violence. It is important to distinguish robbery from other theft-related offenses, as it specifically involves the use of force or intimidation to deprive someone of their possessions.
Robbery can take various forms, including armed robbery, strong-arm robbery, and even carjacking. Each of these offenses carries distinct legal implications and potential penalties. Whether you are facing charges for armed robbery, which involves the use of a deadly weapon during the commission of the crime, or any other form of robbery, it is crucial to pursue legal counsel immediately to protect your rights.
What are the Penalties for Robbery in Virginia?
The penalties for robbery in Virginia are severe and can have a significant impact on your life. The specific consequences you may face depend on various factors, including the circumstances of the offense, any prior criminal record, and whether any injuries occurred during the commission of the crime. Generally, robbery in Virginia is classified as a felony offense, and the penalties can include:
- Prison Time: Conviction for robbery can result in a lengthy prison sentence. The length of the sentence will depend on the severity of the particular offense, but it may range from several years to life in prison, especially in cases of armed robbery.
- Fines: Robbery convictions can lead to substantial fines, which can add financial stress to an already difficult situation.
- Restitution: If the victim suffered any losses or injuries during the robbery, you may be ordered to pay restitution, which covers their medical bills, property damage, or other losses.
- Criminal Record: A robbery conviction can leave a lasting mark on your criminal record, affecting your future employment prospects and other opportunities.
- Loss of Civil Rights: Felony convictions, including robbery, can result in the loss of certain civil rights, like the right to vote or possess firearms.
Defenses Against Robbery Charges
Some common defenses against robbery charges may include:
- Mistaken Identity: In some cases, eyewitness testimony may be unreliable, leading to mistaken identity. We can investigate the accuracy of witness statements and gather evidence to challenge the prosecution's case.
- Lack of Intent: Robbery charges require the prosecution to prove that you had the intent to commit the crime. We can examine the evidence to determine if there is reasonable doubt about your intent.
- Alibi: If you can provide a credible alibi that places you in a different location at the time of the alleged robbery, it can be a powerful defense.
- Coercion or Duress: If you were forced or threatened into committing the robbery, we could argue that you acted under duress or coercion, which may mitigate the charges.
- Procedural Errors: We can scrutinize every aspect of your case to identify any procedural errors or violations of your rights that could lead to the dismissal of charges.
Contact Our Robbery Lawyer in Virginia Beach Today
The impacts of a robbery conviction can be life-changing, and it is crucial to have a dedicated and experienced criminal defense team by your side. At JRLaw PLC, our Virginia Beach robbery attorneys are committed to providing aggressive, strategic, and compassionate representation to protect your rights and future. Contact us today for a consultation, and let us fight vigorously to secure the best possible outcome for your case. Your future is too important to leave to chance.
Contact JRLaw PLC today to get started with our Virginia Beach robbery attorney.
His representation kept an unfortunate incident from defining her future. He was able to put us at ease from the first contact, and he gave her the support she (and our family) needed to get through a very difficult time.- Client
Mr. Johnson really came through for me in a time of crisis!! Not only was he meticulous with the details of my case, he was quick to offer his full support in helping me to gather exactly what I needed to win my case.- Client
From first contact, he was attentive, communicative, and beyond fair with his fees. Being a former police officer in Virginia Beach made him aware, prior to court, of what needed to be done for our time in court. That prior experience was also completely- Misty
We needed a simple expungement for a non-prosecuted charge and Mr. Johnson did it quickly (as much as possible) and at a reasonable price.- William
Virginia Beach: 2 Misdemeanor Assault & Felony Assault/Choking
Norfolk : Eluding Police
Virginia Beach: Reckless Driving
Chesapeake: Reckless Driving 83/60
Virginia Beach Juvenile: Reckless Driving 80/45